View Single Post
Old 02-19-2011, 07:03 PM
stitchofclass2

Amen! Also, the girls only had dresses. We played in dresses and then went home got washed up and a clean dress for dinner. I wore hand me down clothes. Some fit some didn't. The nuns refused to let me finish my catecism classes for First Communion because my dresses were too short. (They were all I had.) I was a cheerleader in high school (Catholic High School). We had to walk to most of our games some were over 6 miles away. If the family had a car they only had one. Sometimes someone picked us up sometimes not. In high school when we started wearing blue jeans we had to buy boys jeans. They didn't make jeans for girls. I wore a uniform to school. One year the senior girls ripped and tore their uniforms on the last day they had to wear them. (We stopped at beginning of May as they were wool and hot.) When the nuns found out about the torn uniforms they made the girls pin them, sew them whatever they could do and made them wear them till graduation in June. That was the last time any girls did that!
We went roller skating at roller rinks with four wheels on each skate. We went ice skating on the frozen lakes and ponds. We had an "ice" box for a refrigerator and once a week the "ice man" came and delivered a block of ice that went into the top of the "ice box" to keep our food cool. Our washing machine was a wringer type with two big metal basins to rinse clothes in. We hung our clothes on lines to dry. My mother washed clothes on Monday (all day), sprinkled the clothes and rolled them up for a few hours and iron EVERYTHING including our underwear and sheets. Oh, yeah!!! Those were the days my friend.