View Single Post
Old 02-21-2011, 05:26 AM
jpthequilter

Originally Posted by sandyo
Do you raise ducks? We have been hatching them at our preschool the last few years and am so looking forward to this springs hatching.
I have a funny story about ducks!
During my highschool years we lived on a farm in Indiana.
At Easter time my mom would go to the local dime store and bring home the little purple and green dyed baby ducks left over after Easter.
The first year she got 3 hens...the second year there was a drake among them! Now my dad loved duck eggs for breakfast, but he could not always find all the hidden nests.
One, day we noticed there were a lot of baby ducks around.
There were about 40 of them clustered around the dog's dish! They loved dogfood!
To feed them, my dad had to bring home big sacks of dogfood, far more than the collie dog we had then ate.
They were all pretty mallards, so we liked them, and they
would sometimes follow us kids around. One day in the fall, my sister Mary climbed up and sat on the top of our barn roof. We liked to do that for the breeze and the view. So all of the ducks flew up there too and sat around companionably with her for a while, then suddenly they all flew into the air, circled the barn a few times and flew off in a flock to the south.
They didn't come back, ever, My mom was so glad not to be feeding them any more.
Imagine how surprised some of the farmers and hunters down south were, when these wild ducks walked right up to them, and pulled on their pantlegs and quacked!
J.