View Single Post
Old 02-27-2011, 07:00 PM
grandma sue

Originally Posted by MTS
Originally Posted by peggymunday
I realize it's "paper" piecing, but I like to trace the pattern onto a lightweight fabric like muslin (just lay the fabric over the pattern and copy with pencil) and then use it like the paper pattern. No need to tear away and it gives the piece more stability without being too thick. It made for quick work for some TUIT's that I did for a women's meeting at the church. I made 16 of these in just a couple of days.
But that's one continuous pattern. You start and keep going around, and there aren't different sections that need to meet up in the center.

The first freezer paper PP I did was in a class and we did a Mariner's compass. Turned out perfect. And it was so easy once I got started.

Which is why I always say that there are many PP techniques, but not all work for all PP situations. So it's good to learn them as many as possible as each has its pros and cons.

For example, I would never do a complicated Mariner's Compass using muslin foundation.

I shiver just thinking about the extra bulk. But your example, or a string quilt, sure, without hesitation.

Or I've even used the Benartex NYBeauty pre-printed muslin foundations - but that's because there aren't points matching up with other points.

The term paper piecing is almost used generically.I think all these comments cover "foundation" piecing. And then it's your choice of the foundation and method.