View Single Post
Old 03-04-2011, 09:35 AM
Jenniky

Originally Posted by jeafro12305
Jen and Dak,

That sheep is cute. And the car and dog too. How do you put those extras on. Do you go to a site and get shapes for appliques, make them and sew them on or are those shapes in the fabrics that you have and you cut them and applique them on. I am a relatively new quilter. But I still want to try this BOM. Even if mine are not perfect.
Jean
The shapes are from appliques designs I purchased on line. They are lots of fun. One of the things I have recently learned as an alternative to tracing my designs to the fusiable backing is to cut my fusible backing *** ( I buy it in rolls from either JoAnns or Walmart " Heat N Bond Sewable Iron on Adhesive" you get 5.25 yards in a roll.) *** I cut it exactlly 8.5" X 11" I place the paper side down into my printer feed on top of the regular printer paper. Then I can scan/copy my design or print a design from the computer itself directly onto the fusible backing. I cut out around the the object and then iron it on the reverse side of what every fabric I want to use my design on. Then once its cooled cut out design remove paper backing and place on fabric where you want it. I like using a small machine blanket stictching to go around my appliques. Mostly because that what was what I was first taught. I think some others use a whip stich, Maybe? Anyway hope this helps a lil in the applique area. Its lots of fun! :thumbup:

Jen