View Single Post
Old 03-05-2011, 08:01 AM
Gabbystabber

Location: Cypress, Texas by the way of Pittsburgh, Pennsylvania

I do not know about without a hoop but 1. smaller stitches come with time, your fingers are not strong enough when you begin. Even stitches are more important than size. For the rocking stitch you must start with the your hand palm down, needle perpendicular to your quilt with your hand under the quilt pushing up to make quilt taut. Then you rock your hand to it's right side not pushing under the quilt as much (think of your hand under the quilt as the tension on your sewing machine....tight for entering quilt from top, looser when making stitch) , make a stitch, rock it back to starting position, and continue. For a beginner just doing 1 stitch or 2 is all you need. More stitches will come with time. There are many who never do more that 1 stitch at a time and their work is fantastic. No right or wrong way here. It sure is worth trying. You might find you really enjoy. To me it is like relaxing and rocking in a comfy old rocker. Only difference is it is my hand that is rocking and not my body.
Donna