Old 03-09-2011, 08:48 AM
sewitall

Originally Posted by Janetlmt
I have never heard of having the presser foot up while threading a bernina. I have the Bernina 730..and when I thread it and the presser foot is up..the screen flashes a message to put the foot down.
When threading the "upper part of machine", the instructions say to have the "pressure foot" in the up position (to release the tension). When threading the needle, the pressure foot can be up or down. What I found out, however, was that when you go to pick up the bobbin thread the first time "after" threading the needle,,,, the pressure foot needs to be in the "down position". Is that when your machine flashes the message on the screen?..Maybe, it is reminding you to put the "foot" down before trying to pick up the bobbin thread? So that your needle does not hit the bobbin casing. Apparently, at least on my model 440QE,,,putting that pressure foot in the down position somehow engages parts in the bobbin area, as well as the tension in the upper part of machine. If the foot is not in the down position when you lower needle into the bobbin area, it will not work in "sinc". And, that seems to be when the needle hits the bobbin case. Hello out there all of you techy, service type persons. What say you?????