View Single Post
Old 03-11-2011, 06:58 PM
LucyInTheSky

Originally Posted by BellaBoo
I don't understand the waste more then 1/4" around the die at most. Some appliqué shapes will have more waste if you start with a square but usually I'll cut the left over appliqué die fabric to 2" squares or triangles. Cutting only one layer you will get a lot of distortion if you don't put a piece of paper with it. Cutting too slowly will give you some distortion too. There is a learning curve to getting the most out of the die cut machines and it took me awhile to get to know how throw some fabric on the die and crank out a perfect cut with little waste. If you draw a 1/4" line with a Sharpie around the die blades. That is how big your fabric piece should be for no waste.
Hmmmm, I'll try cranking faster and see if that helps. Even if you get 1/4" waste, that adds up quickly. At my LQS, they do a class where they use their Studio to cut your fabric, you then come in and sew for a day. I gave them a single piece of fabric that I wanted in 2" squares (252 of them) and I had to give them an extra 1/4 yard from what I needed if I hand cut. I understand it's a tradeoff, but for me trying to get as little waste as possible, seeing even 1/4" with every single piece is frustrating