Old 03-16-2011, 01:35 PM
stitchofclass2

Originally Posted by k3n
Originally Posted by EverNow
I've read all the posts and the one thing no one mentions is the traditional quilting challange of hand quilting. I use my sewing machine only for pieacing. The quilting I do by hand. I know it's a long process but gives more personal satifaction and pride in your perfect stitches. I don't admire machine quilted quilts. They may be pretty but to me they have no soul.
I can and do hand quilt - in fact that was how I started quilting. I was responding to the question asked by the author of this thread... Sometimes I even combine both hand and machine quilting on the same piece. I don't agree that one has more 'soul' than the other. I have heard ppl apply this same criticism to machine piecing. I'm sorry but your comment is insulting to the many immensely talented freehand machine quilters on here, both by domestic machine and long arm. :-)
Touche! If the women who quilted in the 20s and 30s had the opportunity to machine quilt, they would have done it in a heart beat and loved it! Time was very precious to those women who did not have the modern conveniences we now have. A machine that quilted! Woohoo!!! I doubt there would have been as much hand quilting. Life evolves and we use the tools that we have. If not, we could still be eating with our fingers. LOL