View Single Post
Old 03-22-2011, 03:14 PM
MrsRodgers

Thanks, all! The name of my quilting set up is..Melanie's Quilting Set Up! Just kidding..I did make it. I saw the Flynn frame, and thought the idea was great, but as you can see, I make lots of things, and that includes frames. I thought his frame was pricey, and I suppose it has to be, as he has had the pieces manufactured. I figured I'd have a go at it myself, and it only cost me $50, and works great. In my opinion, anyway. I bought 3 wood closet dowels and cut them to the width I wanted, which was 72", or 6 ft. I put a two ended screw in the end of each one. One end is a screw that goes into the wood, and the other has smaller threads, for a wingnut. Then I cut two pieces of 1"by 3" for the ends and drilled three holes in each, spaced like Flynn's. I put double sided sticky tape on them, made 15" muslin leaders....Ta DA!!! Worked like a charm. The rollers are pvc pipe, like his, and I could only buy it in one long length. I cut two pieces for the rollers, and used the other piece to make legs for the table ends.
I was a bit worried that I could quilt nicely doing it this way, as I read every post about people's likes and dislikes. I absolutely LOVED it! Yes, you only have a certain width to quilt in at a time, but if you are meandering all over the quilt, like I did (except for the appliqued parts, they will be done off the frame) it goes very smoothly. I got the hang of it right off the bat. I just want to stay home and meander all over everything, now.....