View Single Post
Old 03-24-2011, 04:42 AM
Jo Belmont

I agree with all of the above, however, in addressing the tension issue - both thread and presser foot:

You mention a "1" for tension which I assume is the top thread. I use that when I'm machine BASTING an item so that when I'm through quilting, I can do just what's happening to you --- pull the bobbin thread to get a quick release on it. Find the range of your top thread and set it at half way.

As to the presser foot tension, many (most?) machines today have an automatic presser foot tension setting, i.e., the machine "senses" the thickness of the fabric and adjusts itself. However, on older machines, the presser foot tension adjusts by way of a number that you select (usually with a lever on the inside cover somewhere) or by pressing a large round nut-looking thing on the top of the machine to a lower or higher setting. If you have settings for presser foot, start with the half-way mark there as well.

When setting up your practice sandwich, load a dark and a light thread so you will be able to easily see where the two threads are intersecting. They too should be just about half way through the sandwich. You should see just a speck of the opposite color when examining the stitch line from both sides.

You'll figure it out and be sailing in no time at all. Happy, happy quilting to you!