View Single Post
Old 03-24-2011, 10:02 AM
pheasantduster

Thank you all for your wonderful recipe responses. They all are very helpful and I am copying all to try in the future

Here is my favorite recipe - a Goulash Dish

2 Beef bullion cubes and 2 cups of water OR a can of Beef Broth with enough water to equal 2 cups liquid - have hot.
1 1/2 lbs (approx) meat - cut into small pieces
3 slices of bacon {or I just use a tablespoon or so of bacon grease (that I have frozen}
1 large onion - sliced - approx 1 cup
Combine the following seasonings in small bowl:
1 tablespoon paprika
1/4 teaspoon pepper
1/2 teaspoon marjoram
I don't add any salt as there is plenty in bullion cube or canned broth

Dice bacon and cook in pot slowly till well done (or just add bacon grease to pot). Remove bacon if used and set aside. Add onions to pot and heat until tender. Remove from pot and set aside. Increase heat and add meat and saute till brown on all sides - quickly saute small batches at a time.
Return all meat and onions (also cooked bacon if desired) to pot - Sprinkle combined spices over mixture, stir and cook for a couple of minutes. Add hot beef broth and stir. Bring to a boil, reduce heat, cover and simmer for at least 2 hours. I add vegetables such as potatoes and carrots.
This is a regular for us in the winter as I can put pot on top of wood stove and it just cooks at a low simmer. If you try this I hope you like it as much as we do!