Old 03-27-2011, 09:22 AM
Rhonda
Power Poster

My favorite out of the garden was and is green beans straight off the vine. My dad used to stop plowing and stop and grab carrots out of the garden and eat it there and then or rutabegas. But I hate rutabegas! Love green beans and peas right out of the pod.

Did a lot of canning growing up. And hot days in the garden.

My inlaws raised an acre of sweet corn as well as several acres of other stuff like watermelons onions green beans tomatoes potatoes etc as they had 9 kids and when I married into the family 3 of the boys were married with families. My nephew when he was little used to say it was going to grocery store instead of going to the garden! LOL
so everyone got together and canned corn. We sat on the porch and shucked corn as dad and some of the boys would bring gunny sacks full in from the corn field. A lot of hard work! My FIL fixed a long board with a cutter on it and made short work of cutting the corn off the cobs. My MIL canned everything in gallon jars. She had a large family and every weekend her brothers or sisters and family would show up or cousins and their families. She always fed 30 or more every Sunday. We were there most weekends. I so miss those times!

My grandpa ate sweet corn with nothing on it and sometimes we ate the corn from the regular fields. If you get it at the right stage it is just as good. I have to have butter and salt on mine tho!!