View Single Post
Old 09-26-2007, 01:05 PM
brighteyestish

I had no idea about Amish quilts either.
The way I price my runners are; price the fabric used at retail fabric price(whole yards), the cost of thread(whole spools) and double it, I buy at wholesale or @ 40-50% off only. I make samples out of retail priced FQ's.
I am trying to make some ahead and sell at Bazaars this fall. and I am going to try Ebay.????? Maybe
I dont think you make much money unless you pay less than retail, something you can make very fast, doing more than one at a time, or custom jobs. I see small wall quilts made out of a panel and not much machine quilting trying to sell for $50. I dont think they are worth it.

I sell some quilts and tablerunners, I have made clothing and wedding dresses for others. When I made wedding dresses it was 15 yrs ago and I charged $5 for every yard of fabric and they usually brought there own fabric. I used to work in a dry cleaners where I got asthma. So I adapted her pricing. And then when I did clothing, 5 yrs ago, I raised the price per yard to$8-10 and charges for extra stuff like zippers, belts, snaps, ect. I think alteration people charge way too much, those who have to rent buildings. I understand that they have to pay for the rent and insur. That is why I do classes to teach others. It is the "IN" thing to do and so many young people are interested. It is sad that there is no "home ec" in school much. But I guess the upgrade in machines is too much. I am trying to gather up some machines and teach and after-school class for kids.

I do enjoy teaching. I am hoping to make more money as word gets around.