Thread: Spray Basting
View Single Post
Old 03-29-2011, 07:09 AM
Prism99
Power Poster

Originally Posted by Chay
Where do you do the basting? I don't have enough room on my design wall and the only really flat surface that I can tape the quilt bottom to is the furnace room. It's a big room with plenty of floor space but I'm a little freaked out by imagining a huge explosion down there based on the fact that the 505 is so flammable.
Where my sister lives is a community room with large tables. That's where I spray baste. I use large clamps (from the hardware store) and shift the sandwich as necessary when it's too big for the table.

My initial reaction is to say DON'T spray baste in the furnace room! If you have any kind of gas pilot flame in there (say, for a gas furnace or gas water heater), I too would be afraid of an explosion.

My suggestion is to spray baste outside on the driveway. Purchase one of those large tables with folding legs and store it in the garage when not in use. Aside from the expense, your biggest problem with that is probably getting clamps big enough (and maybe moving the table).

Someone else posted that they bought inexpensive folding saw horses and a sheet of plywood and set those up in the garage to spray baste.