View Single Post
Old 03-29-2011, 01:21 PM
Carol's Quilts

Originally Posted by mjsylvstr
Originally Posted by Carol's Quilts
I always return it to the cart caddy at the regular stores, but many times I shop at Aldi's. They have a really neat system. The carts are kept outside the store, behind a railing, and each cart it connected to the one in front of it by a short chain. To release the chain and get your cart you insert a quarter into the chain mechanism on the cart handle and go do your shopping. When you are ready to return the cart, you just insert the "key" attached to the next cart's chain, and the quarter pops out and you're good to go. I think this is a great idea as there are never any loose carts in the parking lot, the carts are always neatly lined up in place ready for the next customer, and the store does not have to pay a clerk to gather up all the wayward carts in the lot. In the long run, I believe it saves the consumer a little money each time the carts are used. Maybe more stores should adopt this method.
This doesn't always work. Years ago, at a Walmart, my granddaughter took a few of the left out carts and made herself a bit of change.

A quarter lost does not matter to all people....rather loss it than walk !!!!!
In all the many years I have been shopping at Aldi's, I have never once seen a loose cart left out. I have seen people coming out of the store offer their cart to someone coming in to the store. Sometimes they accept the quarter being offered in exchange, sometimes they don't - they chalk it up to "my good deed for the day".

I guess people are different everywhere.