Old 04-02-2011, 04:57 AM
Yooper32

Originally Posted by sewbizgirl
Originally Posted by montanajan
I just bought this 1922 Singer model 66 "Red Eye" treadle machine & am excited to begin the cleaning process so she can be used. I already picked up a new belt at a local Singer store.
"Albertina" was purchased for a few dollars in 1922 by Albertina Nash. She was loved & used by Albertina for many years & many miles. When the machine was passed on to her DIL it became a lonely plant stand. I'm looking forward to bringing her back into action. I've named her in honor of the first seamstress who broke her in so many years ago.
This is my first venture into treadling. Thanks for looking at my new, old baby!

From the pic, it looks to be a side clamp. Beautiful old "red eye". I have a pretty plain black one with minimal gold decals, but boy does she make a lovely stitch.

Jan
The Red Eye looks beautiful! It will clean up even better! The old 66s are so much fun to treadle. I've been piecing all my quilts on mine, ever since I got it. I took another list member's suggestion to practice by piecing long strips, and it really helped get in the groove of treadling... a tube quilt or some blocks with strip construction would be great to start treadling with.

LOL, I also have the habit of calling my machines by the original owner's name. I have a "Florence", a "Georgia" and a "Marguerite"... and one with no known history, whatsoever.

Lucky you-- enjoy that 66! Is it a back clamper or a side clamper? Mine is a back clamper (1908).