View Single Post
Old 04-02-2011, 02:48 PM
jpthequilter

I
Originally Posted by belmer
This is very generous and thoughtful of you to make this quilt for your Husbands Grandmother in the nursing home, but If she doesn't remember you, how will she remember You made the quilt for her? ( that may not be as important.) Also Please be sure to put her name on it in bold letters on the back when you label it. I made my own grandmother a beautiful quilt and some one stole it from her room. To this day I think it was one of the staff people who worked there. Also make sure you or your MIL take it home to be washed, do not let the nursing home take it to their laundry service. Good Luck to you on this wonderful gift for her.
I agree! Having had some similar experiences! My advice is to put her name in large letters across the bottom of the FRONT of her quilt! Make the quilt as simple as you can, using an easy pattern like a square within a square, or nine patch blocks, because perhaps she won't recognize the quilt and give it away, insisting it isn't her, so don't make a complicated work of art. Just make it colorful!
Funny things happen in a nursing home sometimes....We caught my elderly cousin one time, in her neighbor's room where they were both busily writing "escape" notes, helping each other, although the neighbor lady was writing hers in italian!
...and my cousin would go "shopping" in her neighbor's rooms, and brought back all the stuffed toys she could find and hid them in a small chest of drawers, giving away all of her nighties and towels, to make room for them! The nurses would find those in the laundry, and hang them in her closet.
Each time I visited, I would unpack the stuffed animals, and scatter them in the chairs and couches in the punlic areas, having no idea who they belonged to!
J