View Single Post
Old 04-06-2011, 07:50 AM
FranCFries

Originally Posted by grandma pepsi
This is a FMQ question. I was told by a quilting teacher that I MUST have a 'stitch regulator' in order to do free motion quilting. (the teacher also owned a quilt shop that sold sewing machines). I could not afford a new machine, so I tried to FMQ on my regular machine. The stitches were extremely uneven and I lost interest in trying, believing she was right. Now I am reading posts on the quilting board about not dropping the feeddog. Was I told wrong? Is it possible to master FMQ on a regular machine without a stitch regulator. I am getting interested in trying again. Please give me your opinion.
You are NOT the first quilter that doesn't have a 'STICH REGULATOR', I now this comes as a SHOCK!!!! But we did NOT invent FMQing, the first quilters (grandmothers, greatgrandmothers, etc), found that with out fancy machines that they could do this. Not every one did quilting by hand, so one of our 'MOTHERS' took a look at her machine and said "WHY NOT?" So all you have to do is play with it a little more - Don't let people say NO!, just remember our mothers did it with a LOT LESS than we have now! Work on a sandwich that is no larger than a doll quilt size, so you can get the feel with out all the bulk. Sew Happy!