Old 04-07-2011, 05:56 AM
MTS
Banned

Originally Posted by PAQUILTS
Hi, I purcased this pattern at a local thrift store for 2.00 and did one block in blues. It is applique,22.1/2 " square. I will try tosend pics of it. It is called Mountain Star put out by Mountain Mist design # N in 1981.
Hope this helps
Judy B.
Ha! I'll be darned. Great find!

I'm not surprised that Mountain Mist was mentioned. I recently saw another older quilt that I was also entranced by - I couldn't stop trying to figure out how I would piece/applique it. Turns out it was also an older Mountain Mist pattern. It was in really fugly fabrics but I kept thinking how cool it would be in batiks.

And then last night I stumbled across this:
http://www.mountainmistlp.com/guides.htm

I see the books are available on amazon and ebay for bupkis. I think I'm going to get them - these patterns are WAY more interesting than anything being produced today.
D9P anyone :roll:! Boring!

I much prefer the challenge of remaking these technically involved patterns with more contemporary fabrics and colors - and methods.

And it doesn't have to even be so difficult.

I mean, really, why couldn't you redo this whole quilt using fusibles? Look how Ricky Tims uses it on his Rhapsody quilts. Same thing here - weird shapes. Cut out the shapes with the fusible attached and iron them down on a background. No needle-turn hand applique but today's fabulous threads to highlight the pieces.

And I already posted upthread a really fabulous sneaky cheating way to make that zigzag that CherylRearick had coincidentally posted yesterday.

I gotta get me some more time in the day. Wish I could buy that online as well. I'd even pay for shipping. ;-)

Thanks for sharing.