View Single Post
Old 04-11-2011, 11:06 AM
Lucky Patsy's

I have tried a variety of hand applique techniques with varying results, mostly disappointing. I have settled on a hybrid technique that works for me. I cut freezer paper templates and iron them on the reverse of my fabric. I then leave the freezer paper on and pinch the seam allowance under all around the piece, and then begin appliqueing using a needle turn technique without removing the freezer paper. The freezer paper gives me an edge to turn my seam allowances against and gives me a much smoother finish than when I do needle turn alone. I sew down the piece all around until I get to about 1/2 inch or 3/8 inch away from where I started. Then I use one of those thingies that you use to tie up a turkey after stuffing it, slipping it between the fabric and freezer paper at the little opening I have left and move it around to release the freezer paper from the fabric. Next I slip a tweezers in the opening and grab hold of the paper and pull it out. I then sew down the opening. The bigger the piece the bigger the opening needs to be to get the paper out at the end. If a piece is odd shaped with several "fingers" I may slice the template into several pieces first, and remove them one at a time as I sew around the entire piece. Good luck with your applique and stick with it! It can be a lot of fun and very enjoyable!