Old 04-12-2011, 07:51 AM
hheelleenn

Originally Posted by luvTooQuilt
My family thinks that just because I quilt that I'm suppose collect buttons. So every garage sale, flea market or even from their old shirts and sweater that they find/get they feel the need to give to me? I have spaghetti jars filled with buttons that I have no idea what to do with.. If I have space to store them, Id rather use that space for fabric.. So what gives?

(btw- I will never sew a button back on a shirt.. goes in the laundry to never be seen again)
My grandmother was a seamstress in a factory making uniform coats for the soldiers in WW2. I remember that she always let me play in her BIG button box.I loved buttons. Her buttons. Big buttons, small buttons. Colored buttons, metal buttons. Even leather buttons. As I got older (maybe 4-5?) I sewed them to cardboard, and made a loose leaf binder of buttons For years I kept the collection of buttons. Until my grandma died. I was so hurt that she left me. We shared a bedroom and without her I was lonely. I recently without thinking I realized I was hording buttons. Iput them in a big jsr and yes, I take them out and just run my fingers through them.I have no children of my own, but memories last forever. They cost nothing. I am 56 and I still long for my grandma.I still love buttons and miss my grandma. Thanks for the trip down memory lane.