Old 04-16-2011, 02:56 PM
Bev

Originally Posted by AFQSinc
Originally Posted by Shirleyg
So let's just not stress over it and come to this board to confess and make us feel better. We are not alone in doing this. I was watching a show on TLC called extreme couponing and after that I don't feel bad about my fabric at all. Some of those people had thousands of one item just because they had a coupon for it and doing that took them hours just to prepare to go grocery shoping. To me that's food hording but hay, if that makes them feel good then who am I to judge...
I watched Extreme Couponing and I had to stop I got so mad! Ok, first of all: Why is food hoarding called 'stockpiling' but fabric 'stockpiling' is called hoarding? No. Just no.

Secondly: I am extremely offended by the sight of the person clearing the shelf of mustard. What about other people who might have a coupon and would like to buy that brand but now can't? No one should be allowed to do that.

I believe that kind of shopping also drives food prices up because the manufacturers think there is more demand than there really is which then creates a false mini shortage and drives the prices up. Perhaps this sounds judgmental but in these times where there are people who can just barely get enough food to feed their families I really don't like seeing people proudly showing off their homes stuffed with more food and goods than they can ever use in the product's lifetime.
I couldn't agree more with everything you've said. However I am reminded of the craze we went through when everyone found out about the rotary/carpet cutter blades that could be found at Harbor Freight for only 2.98 a two pack. People were scooping them off the shelves and creating a "sellout" at all the HF stores. Sadly some of our board members were never able to find any on the shelves because they couldn't get to their store fast enough. Hoarding is hoarding no matter what the items are that are being hoarded. :wink: