View Single Post
Old 04-17-2011, 03:35 AM
olebat

Bed quilts were a way of life for my father's people. The earliest recollections I have of quilting was when I was five. It was an off and on thing, mostly when I visited my grandmother. The scraps used were from clothing my mother made. I remember the blisters on my hands and fingers from cutting quilt pieces as a Girl Scout. As an adult, most of my sewing years were for square dance clothes for hubby and me. I made bed spreads, afghans, and blankets, and whole cloth, tied quilts, but no piecing.

Crafts were a big thing of mine. I tried to enter one of every category listed for the county fair, including many small needle arts projects. Each year I admired the quilt displays. Then, perhaps 10 years ago, I decided that the "Year of the Quilt" had arrived.

In an attempt to broaden my social circle and make a quilt, I took a little quilting class. I used rotary cutters and mats with paper crafts, but never really thought about them as sewing aids. This alone was enough for the quilt bug to bite. I jumped in on the resurgence, combining my sewing skills with new tools and techniques.

Now, my sewing occupies 3 rooms and a good chunk of the basement, I have a stash, and have begun a collection of vintage machines. Although it looks as though I have some sort of hording illness. I'm teaching sewing, including quilting, to my 4-H students. I shop around, use coupons and teacher discounts, and the kids buy their supplies from me. Sew gratifying. Many thanks to this board for being enablers.