View Single Post
Old 04-19-2011, 10:59 AM
debbie33

Originally Posted by Mimito2
I went to an estate sale last week and bought a handmade (by the deceased) cabinet to use as a pantry for $22. The Family thought it was junk.... I silently thanked the person that made it and assured them that I would make good use of it. I know that may seem silly but it makes me feel better about buying (stealing) it. As for my stuff. It will be given/thrown away for a pittance and my sons will run thru the money like water, Makes me want to leave it all to the local school system for a school to be built on for this end of the county instead of the kids having to ride the bus for an hour...It would be better appreciated.
I've done the same thing... say a silent thank you. My husband and I have only recently started going to some estate sales that are in the area. A co-worker has been going for years to 'ritsy neighborhoods' and they buy jewelry and re-sell it for a profit... so I thought 'what the heck'
The first one we went to was in a cabin-type of home tucked in the woods. I couldn't believe we were allowed to go into the house, the bedrooms, the basement. People were using the bathroom! I was shocked, only having gone to garage sales before. At least this one had the forethought to put plastic down on the carpets.
Another one we went to had put nothing on the floors and I felt bad wearing my shoes in the house (a big no-no for me!) and I remember thinking... (my mother is still alive) but God forbid, if we had to do this to my parents' house...she will definitely roll over in her grave having all these strangers tramp through her house, dirty-ing the carpets and rummaging thru everything.
I do agree, it is a very wierd experience, but at the end of the day it helps you realize...
that you can't take it with you
and one man's junk is another one's treasure.