View Single Post
Old 04-19-2011, 11:31 AM
mhuskins1

This post is very close to home for me !!
My Father passed 2 years ago this May !
He is very missed, he lived with me the last year of his life, I am so glad that I got to spend that time with him.
He didn't have very much, but what he did have , clothes and some books, photos ! They are still here with me !! Some of the family has asked about his stuff, Hey you know he has some unders in the dresser , and some socks , you wanting them. famlies are so different when it comes this kind of stuff !!!!
I have used some of his shirts in some projects that I made for Christmas last year.
My Mother passed in 1999, well needless to say the family came and got what they wanted and left the rest for me to clean up, oh my mom had so much stuff, I tried to keep all of the sewing stuff, she had a ton of latch rugs , After I went through what was left and got what I thought my children my like as they got older .No one wanted the hankies that our Great Grandmother made or the dishes, or the crafts Mom made. I took as much stuff as I could , boxes and boxes of memeories from my childhood.
I had the hardest time parting with her stuff, I tried to find good friends that needed some of it , and charities that would need some things. at the end of a month after days and days of cleaning boxing and just reliving my childhood !!
I had an estate sale... OUTSIDE! I just couldn't let strangers in the house.
Oh it was the hardest thing I think I have done !!! seeing strangers leaving with my mom's stuff was so hard.
But I have thought about this stuff concerning me ,,, my kids would kill me !!I have saved cards , photos, their drawings, toys, baby clothes.
I quess I need to make sure all this stuff is orginized so they will know what it is and what it has ment to me !!
How do know what someone else's memories mean to them, even if it is just a drawing on a note book page !!!
I could not disrespect my parents and let strangers dig in their drawers.

This was in the box that went to the family for Christmas
[ATTACH=CONFIG]186373[/ATTACH]
Attached Files
File Type: doc
Attachment-186367.doc (24.5 KB, 141 views)