Old 04-20-2011, 07:23 AM
cabbagepatchkid

Originally Posted by Quiltgranny

I've got a 301a foot controller question or two. Recently acquired a 301a shortbed with the old bakelite foot controller which is driving me crazy. Don't know if this is operator error or what, since I'm new to this type of foot controller.

When depressing on the button on the left of the foot controller, my machine usually hesitates before starting to sew - from a slight hesitation to I need to use the hand wheel to start her. I know this is not normal from what I've read, that being that she should just take off running, no hesitation or hand wheel assistance required.

Also, the foot controller button seems kinda 'sticky', in that it takes more pressure from my foot to depress, and even that varies when using. Often, she'll just start racing and nearly eats my fingers off if I'm not careful. So, getting any speed control is difficult at best.
I was having problems with my button foot controller for my "new" FW, the other day. I took the cover off and then I sprayed a little Tri-Flow lubricant onto a Q-tip and rubbed it on the moving parts of the inside of the foot controller. When you take the cover off you will see the part that is depressed whenever you step on the button of the controller. Press it and see how sticky it is (please unplug your controller before doing this :shock: ). Rub the lubricant where ever you see the little hinges moving. I even used a toothpick dipped in the Tri-Flow to get a little bit of it into the hinge easier. Keep squeezing the "thingy" up and down to work the lubricant in there and VOILA!! it should operate nice and smoothly. Here is a link that shows you how to take it apart and put it back together again.
http://blog.sew-classic.com/2009/11/...r-control.aspx