View Single Post
Old 04-22-2011, 07:57 AM
trupeach1
Banned

I hand piece and quilt all my quilt. I have always thought it SHOULD be hand sewed, I am a traditionalist. I did that even before my ears problems when using a machine became a problem. HOWEVER........I broke down and used a machine with the b-day quilt it was a matter of cutting 3 different fabrics 2 1/2" the lenght of the fabric and sewing them together. Then cutting that every 7" and I got 6 blocks. I needed 17 so I only needed 3 sets of the strips. 18 solid blocks and sew those together. Put the borders on and tie it. I did hand sew the binding on. Easy peasy!!!! If it wasn't that I couldn't use the machine all at once because of the noise I would have had it done in a day. I could only sew about 10 minutes at a time then stop for a few hours to give my ears a break. This is the second quilt I machined sewed. The other was when Joyce was injured she couldn't touch anything but flannel. I needed a quick quilt ASAP. I pulled from my stash and made hers 2 days. It mess up my ears but I had no choice.

I really like to do everything by hand even sewing aprons but warm wishes was so much quicker with the machine plus it wasn't a traditioanl pattern so I felt it didn't warrant hand piecing.

I was gifted a hand cranked machine but I have not got the hang of using it yet so I have to practice and see if I will brake away from hand sewing everything. I dought it! I make bread by hand no mixer or bread machine. I make bread every week. I like the old fashioned way of doing everything.

Just wondering Carrie why do you want to know?