View Single Post
Old 04-26-2011, 08:59 AM
Welchkin

I'm a newbie too, working on my first quilt for my first grandchild. I hand stitch as FM on my machine frightens me (I have tried it and can't seem to get my tension right and it's a nightmare). Having to take a rest at the moment as my thumb is sore and swollen (ibuprofening it up with some icing). I'm thinking it was from trying to pull the needle through multiple layers of fabric at seams, got smart and went out today for those rubber fingers to aid in that step.
Anyway, I'd love to dive into more quilting after this simple baby quilt I'm making (just a patchwork). My grandma used to quilt these beautiful parasol lady quilts that I have yet to find a template for and she has since gotten rid of all her quilting supplies. I have 2 tops from her but they have dry rotted as they are more than half my age. I wanted to finish them to have something to remember her by when she's gone.
Enough rambling. As I said, I'd love anyone to help guide me when I take on the challenge of more intricate and larger patterns.