View Single Post
Old 04-27-2011, 01:26 PM
annesthreads

Originally Posted by Somerset Val
Originally Posted by annesthreads
Originally Posted by Somerset Val
Originally Posted by nantucketsue
Interesting thread. I recently straight stitch quilted a baby quilt using my walking foot on the 4900QC but noticed many of the stitches were very uneven going from normal size to tiny. I thought maybe it was because I used a cotton flannel backing although the walking foot is supposed to eliminate this problem. There were no puckers on the back which I had hand basted,. I was considering whether to purchase the blue bobbin for FMQ, but I don't think I will bother. I also think Janome Customer Service in UK is very unhelpful. I love my machine for general sewing and piecing, but as a quilting machine it does not seem to live up to its name.
I'm sorry you are having such problems. All I can say is that I have found Janome Customer Service UK very helpful. I have the blue bobbin case which works perfectly. I also use a quilting machine needle which seems to make a big difference. I've read that either this or a top stitch needle are the best to use but not a universal needle.
Val - what's your tension set on when you're using the blue dot case?
I turn the pressure control down to 6 and have the tension 5-7, depending on what thread I'm using. I set the speed to half way which seems to eliminate thread breaks. It means you can put your pedal to the floor and still move the fabric at a good speed.
Why don't you ring Stockport? Ask to speak to Mrs Maureen Brown and tell her I (Valerie Cave) told you to ask for her! She's not in the office every day, now so she may have to ring you back at another time. She's fantastic - tell her I said so!
Thanks Val. I've spoken to Maureen in the past, and she's always taken the time to try to help - her suggestions were mainly about which threads to use.