View Single Post
Old 04-27-2011, 06:06 PM
vivientan

Originally Posted by tjradj
I do FMQ all the time on both my Janome 6260 and my Janome Horizon 7700 and have never used the "blue dot" bobbin case. I thought it was just for decorator threads that were too thick to feed through a normal bobbin??
Have the tension spring on the bobbin case checked - it may have gotten a thread caught in it and either plugged it or bent it to a point where there is no tension in it anymore no matter how much you tighten down the screw.
If it were me, I'd start with a complete new set of thread - same on top and bottom and loosen both top and bottom tension right off. Then slowly tighten the bottom until it holds the thread to the bottom but not to the point of eyelashes. Then tighten up the top until the stitch is balanced in the fabric. Make sure that when you're threading the top you have the pressor foot up so the tension discs are open, AND do the same when ever you change the top tension.
Good luck.
What is the top tension u used with your 6260? I noticed that only a tension of 1 works for me when using the walking foot. I had highlighted my tension problems to my dealer when I brought my Janome for servicing last mth. When I FMQ at home, it puckers badly, irregardless of the tension I use and whether I'm using similar or different top and bobbin threads. As mentioned earlier, the dealer tried it using their darning foot and it works well! Even with an invisible thread at the top and cotton thread in bobbin, which is a disaster for me at home. She mentioned that the speed will affect the tension and suggested that I do not go too slow. When all else fails, she asked that I check that the darning foot is not faulty ie the bottom of the foot should be smooth and not uneven. I've not had a chance to try out my FMQ at home yet but will prolly try again this weekend.