Old 04-28-2011, 04:40 AM
JustJill

Originally Posted by Deborahlees
I made my ironing board for my sewing studio out of a used, no longer wanted kitchen utility cabinet. you know the kind that sits in the middle of the room for you to chop on. well the top has two fold up sides that give me a nice square table to iron on, and when not needed fold down, and the bonus is I have a drawer and 3 wire baskets to put 'stuff' in like a pressing cloth, a pair of scissors and I hang my start bottles on the wire baskets. on the wood top, I put a piece of heavy aluminum foil and then a piece of the ironing board cover with padding attached that I purchased from my local Joanns. cut to size and hemed. I love my little table that is also on wheels and moves around the room as needed. But the cover is from Joanns, sold by the yard....so you can get whatever size you need and has the padding already quilted on.
This reminds me of something I just saw in the most recent Fingerhut catalog that came to the house. They sell an ironing table much like the one you've described. As I recall it's wooden, on wheels, with 2 fold-down sides and 3 wicker baskets in the middle for storage. I can't vouch for how it works, but I am giving some thought to purchasing one. It looks like the perfect solution for someone like me, whose sewing room is about the size of a postage stamp. :)