Old 05-02-2011, 05:38 AM
OmaForFour

Come to Bar Harbor, ME. Acadia National Park is here and it is gorgeous! Pink granite mtns., blue lakes, green pines. So much to see and do! Best LOBSTAH! Your Mom can go on Ollie's Trolley to tour the island, see a lot and not be tired. You all can go on a Whale watching cruise and/or a cruise on an old Schooner. There are two great quilt shops here plus a huge Marden's with a very large fabric dept., also a Super Walmart which may have fabric by that time. The Mardens and Walmart are on your way in to Mt. Desert Island.
The town and other villages on the island have some very nice shops and places to eat.
There are many bed & breakfasts here as well as hotels, campgrounds. Make reservations in advance. Google.
If you do decide you are going to be here, PM me! I will give you my phone number.
YOU WILL NEVER BE SORRY YOU CAME TO BAR HARBOR, ACADIA NATIONAL PARK, MDI IN GENERAL!

Originally Posted by booklady
We're headed to Connecticut via Niagara Falls. Then to Vermont, New Hampshire and Maine. Down to Boston for the 4th of July. Then on to visit relatives in Wash DC before heading back to the Midwest.

My DD, my elderly parents (80) and I are driving. I was excited to see Niagara Falls on the way (just a little out of the way). Dad is excited to spend the 4th in Boston (he's hoping we can listen to the Pops on the waterfront and watch the fireworks).

So far we have Ben & Jerry's on the list of "must see". And I discovered we could stop by the big quilt shop in New Hampshire. And I'd like to find a good stop for lobster in Maine.

Mom and Dad are pretty good for travel. Mom's legs give out sometimes but she is perfectly happy to sit on a bench or the car to people watch or read a book if she doesn't feel up to the event of the day.

Any other suggestions?