View Single Post
Old 05-02-2011, 06:57 AM
countryone77

Originally Posted by Cottage Dee
That's the point of backdating my MP3....the due date is never reached on the device. The library puts the book back into circulation at the end of the rental period. Everybody wins.
I'll have to be the spoilsport and say that I disagree with your assessment that "everyone wins".

New books have copyrights to protect the author's hard work. Even when non-copyrighted books are republished, the publisher has financed that and is justly due recompense for it. The library has agreements with publishers as to how books will be utilized by its patrons so that everyone's rights are protected.

Now you have found a method of circumventing the Library-Publisher agreement, because it makes it easier on you. Not only that, but you are encouraging others to do the same thing.

So the ones who are hurt by your process are the authors and publishers. And, if many folks start doing that, it could make publishers take a 2nd look at their library agreements and stop renewing them. If that should occur, then many library patrons would also suffer a loss.