View Single Post
Old 05-02-2011, 06:55 PM
wesing

Originally Posted by TonnieLoree
I feel the same way. I don't hand stitch that well, and my machine is capable of many stitches. I did not spend a gazillion dollars on a machine only to have to finish something by hand. GO FOR IT!
I couldn't agree more. We don't do anything by hand. The only exception is a small unfinished quilt that my wife made when she first started. We decided to hand quilt it since it is small, but it may never get finished.

All of the quilts we have made were to be used, and we think the machine binding is more durable. The first bed quilt we made was machine quilted by a LQS and they also did the binding (by hand). The thread has broken in a couple of places and the binding is starting to come apart. Thankfully, the quilt was for us, so we can repair it and don't mind doing so, but I don't want a quilt that we've given to someone to come apart and them to think they've done something to destroy it.

At the end of the day, it's your call. If you like the look of one binding over the other, or you prefer to do it a certain way - your opinion rules.

Darren