Old 05-03-2011, 10:13 AM
Johanna Fritz

Originally Posted by janedb
Is there a time to do you can choose. or will something awful happen if you choose the wrong way. !!!
help... jane
Which way I press the seams depends on several things. I have been quilting almost 20 years, and I have learned this over trial and error...error...error.
1. If two pieces of a seam come together and one fabric is really dark (navy or black) and one is really light - press toward dark.
2. If I am making a star type block (regular piece or paper piece) or one where many points/seams come together at one point (like in the center) - seams open.
3. If I am making a block that radiates around a circle (dresden plate etc) - Seams open.
4. In all other cases except above, I press according to block construction. What I mean is on a nine patch, for example, top row and bottom row-press same direction (say to the right-consider colors etc) and the middle row-the opposite direction (say left). That way when you join the rows of the block, they "lock" together and eliminate bulky seams.

**Pressing open will weaken the seam, but in the examples above, it is worth it. I would not do it all the time though. Good luck.