Old 05-06-2011, 06:36 PM
PJisChaos

Default Need help from all ya Vintage Treadle people!

Ok, so DH got me a vintage treadle for Mothers Day, of which I am just ecstatic about!!! LoL!
I have been searching the net for over 4 hours trying to find out something about this one and am getting nowhere. :(
I hope someone out there can help me out, even just a point in the right direction would be good at this point.. my head hurts!!
It is a "New Automatic" treadle. It has not been adapted to use a motor and is missing a belt, as far as I can tell. It came with 4 bobbins, the long thin ones, and the shuttle is intact and had a bobbin still in it. From what I have been able to find, these machines were only manufactured under the name New Automatic from 1885 to 1897 in Rockford, IL. Then they moved to California and became The Free Sewing Machine Company. It did come with an instruction book(Looks like a reprint maybe, is too new looking for those years IMHO) that has this on the inside cover:
Sewing Machine Factory
Rockford, Illinois
The serial number(?) on the back plate has C338438 stamped on it but under the flap on the side of the head, on the shaft that moves the needle(needle shaft?) it has stamped on it: PATAPPLFOR and C227 below it. I am assuming(prolly wrong) that it means Patent Applied For..? I think the C227 is maybe a model number..? That is all the printing or writing I have found on it anywhere. The decals are green, with maybe orange and gold or yellow. Is hard to tell as they are in bad shape. I really want to know just how old she is and where to get more info on her in order to get her running. The seller said the little old lady used it up until a year or 2 before she passed, there were 3 other various machines there as well. I have found all kinds of "goodies" in the drawers from over the years, flyers and advertisements, buttons, various trimmings, lots of old needles, a pin for a democratic candidate from ??, and even several pesos! LoL

All closed up(my helper standing by)
[ATTACH=CONFIG]194015[/ATTACH]

opened up and looking ready
[ATTACH=CONFIG]194016[/ATTACH]

she's a little rough right now.
[ATTACH=CONFIG]194017[/ATTACH]

the serial plate??
[ATTACH=CONFIG]194020[/ATTACH]
Attached Thumbnails attachment-194009.jpe   attachment-194010.jpe   attachment-194011.jpe   attachment-194014.jpe