Old 05-09-2011, 07:05 PM
MTS
Banned

Originally Posted by sewingsuz
I did not incorporate a sleeve and my quilt is finished so I have to add one after the fact for a show in the fall also. Can it be a tempory one?
Well, it depends on the show rules. They might insist that the sleeve be sewn on. I've seen quilts get knocked out of guild shows because a) there wasn't a sleeve, or b) it wasn't up to the standard requested in the rules.

Of course, for any of the big shows, it definitely must be permanently attached (well, you can always cut the stitches to get it off later if you wanted/needed).

If you really want it to be temporary without going through all the sewing, you can attach the sleeve to the back with carefully placed safety pins. And depending on the size of the quilt, you might be able to get away with two smaller sleeves on each end, instead of one loooong one.

eta: Even if the quilt is going to be a bed quilt or a throw, if the sleeve is securely fastened, then it really shouldn't cause much of a problem in day-to-day living. Just leave it on. But it has to be very thoroughly attached to the back. ;-)