Old 05-12-2011, 11:38 PM
cabinfever

Originally Posted by Stitchit123
I ve got a Rival teflon it glides pretty good but its to light it won't de-wrinkle tissue paper so I went back to my Gramma's iron that I've been using for 50yrs+ its a Procter/Silex with a cloth cord its got some serious weight and the settings are still true No more new irons for me You can still fnd the oldies in 2nd hand stores for a couple dollars and live another 50 yrs
I have a few old flat irons with no holes as well, and they get very hot, so watch what you're ironing with them and that there's no poly...found out the hard way on a blended fabric. When it turns, it's too late...just a stiff mangled pile. Still, I love the reliability of the old irons, and found one of mine at a thrift store too.

BTW, I would be careful about leaving any cloth cord plugged in when turned off. They are not grounded as a rule (no 3rd prong), and it there's a short, you will have a quick fire. At least if it happens when you're ironing you will be aware of the problem & not sleeping or away. Pets used to like to chew on them also.