View Single Post
Old 05-15-2011, 08:25 PM
Sienna's GiGi

Originally Posted by pab58
Originally Posted by FroggyinTexas
Originally Posted by pab58
I found this picture at the Library of Congress. The rails in this particular picture are not bent quite as much as Sherman wanted them, but you can get some idea of what the damage might be. The railroad ties would be piled up and lit, and then the rails put on top of the fire. It's much the same way a blacksmith would heat up iron except on a larger scale.

I wish I could have located a better picture of rails that had an extreme bend in them. It's amazing! The only thing I managed to locate was a drawing, and that isn't what I wanted. I'll keep looking, and if/when I find one I like, I will post.
Thanks for your research and for sharing it with us. I, too, am a Civil War buff, but I learned something from you today that I did not know before. froggyintexas
Thanks! I absolutely love studying U.S. history and try to impart my enthusiasm of it to my students. Sometimes -- actually more often than not -- I do get them hooked, or at least they find out that history isn't just what they read in their (boring) textbooks!! Oops!! Did I just say that textbooks were boring??!! I am constantly doing research and bringing in primary documents, etc. to make history come alive for them. The best comment I received was from one of my former 8th grade students. At the beginning of the year she said, "I hate history!" This was before we had even started to study it!! I told her that by the end of the year I would prove to her that history was fun and interesting. She said she doubted it. Well, she came back to see me at the end of her 9th grade year, and she told me that she had decided what she wanted to be when she grew up. She said she wanted "to be a history teacher!!!" Can you believe it!!?? I was absolutely stunned! She said she loved history and that it was because of me. I was so very, very honored and extremely humbled! :oops:
You sound like my english teacher from 10-12 grade. I wish we had more tachers like you.