View Single Post
Old 03-30-2009, 03:07 PM
MadQuilter
Power Poster

Originally Posted by Loretta
Didn't anyone wonder what a Betty Crocker sewing machine was?
I did - lol, but it would not have surprised me if there was such an animal.

When I was in the market for a machine, I did A LOT of research. I read a lot of reviews on line and talked to other sewers as you are doing here. (Mine was BQB :wink: )

I found out what different features were available and how important these features were to me. Then I narrowed down the list of contenders and went "test driving." I ended up with a Pfaff "Quilt and something" that has a built-in walking foot, a needle down position selector, and a low bobbin indicator. It also has more stitches than I'll ever use but the first three items were my MUST HAVES.

Since, I added a Brother "Jeans and something" to take to quilting classes. Love it for the drop in bobbin, and it does a respectable button hole stitch.

Then I added a Pfaff Grandquilter and plan to use it with my Handiquilter frame. It runs like a Gazelle on steroids, has a 9"X6" throat opening which is great for quilting, but it only has a straight stitch, so not advisable for an "only" machine. It also runs a little harder/louder than I anticipated and I wonder if I am not oiling it enough.

Happy shopping. BTW: make sure you haggle!!!!!