View Single Post
Old 01-19-2007, 06:59 AM
Judy Lee

I do all my quilts in sections, no section larger than crib-size. Any larger and it becomes difficult to manage through the throat of my machine. Smaller is better. A quilt that is in the works now, has 40" square sections.

After the quilt sandwich is made (backing, batting, top), I machine quilt it, leaving a 1" or so perimeter where it can be attached to its neighbors.

This is only the sixth quilt I've made. I'm retired and can procrastinate as much as I want, which is why there's a Log Cabin UFO in my workroom now.

In the mid-'80s of the last century ( :lol: ) I met a woman who became my sewing mentor and she directed me to Georgia Bonesteel's lap-quilting books and videos. My mentor's lessons are still the most vivid, because they were personal. Our friendship lasted until her husband died; she moved away and we lost track of each other. I think of her often when I use a tool she gave me, or complete a corner the way she showed me.

By all means, try the method; you'll enjoy it. You could make a small project first. A crib-size quilt divided into four sections is big enough to make mistakes on (learning experiences) and small enough to be easily fixed.