Old 05-18-2011, 04:06 AM
canuckninepatch

We just spent our first winter as snowbirds in Florida, and I have tried various things, and have come up with what works for me. I have my newest Janome 6600 here at home, and have left my older Janome 4800 in our condo. I have a small folding table (Costco) in Florida that is stored in the guest bedroom closet which is height-adjustable. My DH made a removal wooden surface with rounded corners that I can place on the folding table to make it a little larger so that it exactly fits in the corner of the room between the wall and the dresser, and my sewing machine with acrylic quilting extension fits exactly on it.

I use a chair from another room with a cushion on it, so that when we have company and I'm not sewing, I can put the chair back, take down the table/wooden surface, pack them away in the closet, and put my sewing machine in its case and put it away. When I am sewing, I leave the ironing board up in the guest bedroom, and do my cutting on the dining room table. We also have a kitchen table, so that's not a problem for eating.

There's a perfect spot on the concrete floor outside our unit near the external elevator, and where there is open air (for fumes) where I spread out a large flannel sheet, and do my layering with aerosol basting spray. I haven't had anyone complain yet (actually, I don't think anyone has even see me do it!).

I have two sewing machine travelling cases on wheels (bought one of them at Joanne's on Black Friday) which I don't often need to use for my machines, since I'm leaving a machine at each residence, so I use them to pack fabric in when we drive back and forth in the fall/spring.

I place a flannel sheet on the bed in the guest bedroom to use as my horizontal design wall.

This setup seems to work for me, but you do have to plan your projects more carefully, and stick with one project till it's done. Hope that helps........ C9P