Old 05-19-2011, 09:41 AM
shnnn

Originally Posted by greenini
I'm in the market for a vintage machine to FMQ. I've looked at 301A, 15-91 and maybe a 66. I would like to pay under a $100 total including shipping, would love to pay a lot less, if possible :wink:

The things I've bid on have gone for maybe $150 including shipping.

What about a 15-90, instead of a 15-91 how much difference does the direct drive actually make. Those of you who have experience with all 3 machines what would you hunt for? Is it realistic to pay under $100? I see all the great thrift shop bargains and drool, but have cut our thrift shopping down, will probably increase it shortly, tho. I notice Goodwill itself in Rochester NY area has a lot of machine and will be there in the fall. I should probably wait till then but I'm getting itchy :)
I think a lot of it is purely preference. I like the direct drive simply because in my own mind it sounds more indestructable - although changing a belt would be much easier than replacing gears or bearings. The lady at the local sewing machine repair store told me that the belt driven machines are better. Both have been around and running for longer than I have been alive, so either is probably perfectly functional as long as you aren't planning to make saddles or something with it.
Here's something I didn't even consider though -- if you can, get the cabinet too!! In the boxes or cases they sit up a few inches off your table, and have a corner for your heavy layered quilt to catch on when quilting - urch. Then you have to drag the weight up over the edge of the box constantly.