Old 05-21-2011, 12:38 PM
Lostn51
Banned

Originally Posted by Honchey
Originally Posted by Lostn51
Originally Posted by BoJangles
Originally Posted by Honchey
Hi Nancy, there's been conversation about "blackside" machines and I'm wondering about the "Singer 15" I picked up. You commented about it regarding the Potted vs bolted motors. Are there partial blackside machines? My 15 has the black tensioner ,stitch regulator and the handwheel is all black. the face plate and bobbin cover are chrome.. I think. Would this be considered a blackside? Anne
No, the true blackside machines had all black throat plates, face plates, feet, etc. They were made during the war so the machines would not gleam, is what I was told. I think all blacksides are 99's, at least the ones I have seen are all 99's.

Nancy
Actually they offered Blackside for all of their models and were made up into the early 50's. I have seen a 15, 99, 128 (the most common one seen) and a Featherweight. But your almost right about the reason for the finish Nancy, it was because Nickle was in high demand by the government so they offered the Blackside models to help with the war effort. But you could still get nickle plated machines during the era.

Billy
Hi, My 15 was made in 1950 and it also has a black threadcutter. I was just very curious. Anne
Anne I think most of the thread cutters were blackside finish but I may be wrong. There is a member here that has a 15 that is a Blackside.

Billy