View Single Post
Old 05-23-2011, 06:29 AM
Honchey

Originally Posted by Marcy J.
I have been reading the posts from quilters going through a slump. I am 72 years old and and experiencing insecure thoughts such as "why buy any more fabric", and "why start on a new project". I am losing my enthusiam because my age does not warrant a lot of time for the projects I have always wanted to do. Would the upper-age group quilters share their thoughts on this problem I am having.
Hi MarcyJ. I sometimes find myself thinking the same thoughts. I just turned 71 and I'm still buying fabric but not in the quantitiy of previous purchases tho I still can't pass on a "good buy". When I see a fabric I like I say to myself "are there any pieces at home that will go with it". Sometimes I'll just purchase a small amount to satisfy my desire for it. I'm even thinking of selling some yardage that I know I'll never use..why did I get it in the first place...It was too good a deal to pass on. When I now look at fabric that is still in the package I brought it home in...I see in my mind the quilt I wanted to make but never got around to do. I do keep busy tho with projects that I start then put down go on to something else and then go back to. I believe I have adult ADHD? I find that I need to keep on challenging myself to see if I can do this or that pattern. I also sometimes teach basic quilt classes. I love to do that. Keeping busy with my hands even in the evenings watching (listening really) to TV I have to be doing something with my hands... if not I'm twiddling my thumbs ! Do what your heart desires if you can afford it. Do small projects that you can complete and move on to something else. Don't isolate yourself. I'm even collecting vintage sewing machines. Do I need them? no...Do I want them?...Yes! I am also involved with the FWS Quilt_along here on the board. The quilt is made up with 111 blocks! and we've finished 86 of them. I never thought I would be able to see this thru but I'm plugging along with a bunch of very nice ladies. Think about "Grandma Moses" accomplishing many things at the age of 96? We can do that too! Get involved ! Think young! PM me when you feel blue. Anne