View Single Post
Old 05-23-2011, 04:11 PM
arimuse

I felt like that when I was 40 and my hubs died! Now, my MIL is going thru some mystery illness and has become very depressed and stopped doing everything. Shes in her mid 80s and can sew better in her sleep than I can breathe air. Shes made oodles of quilts, recovered more furniture than a store, made every piece of clothing you can name. (I must say, even as a gifted seamstrest, she is a lousey cook!! lol)
She lives in NY state. Her 2 remaining sons live in VT and are coming to NY soon to move her up there! I speak to her on the phone once a week - I can tell you, shes seriously depressed. Her husband died several yrs ago, shes alone in NY, doesnt drive, and they had a bad winter (outside Buffalo!) this yr.
If you feel there is "no reason" at any 'age" to go on, all I can say is, it aint over til its over!
Get out, go for a walk, talk to clerks in stores, smile smile smiles and then smile some more. You can take drugs and chemicals to make you "happy", but the natural happy you get by living in the moment is better. you have to want to be happy and if you cant get that "feeling" going sometimes if you go thru the motions (smile!) it helps jump it. Eat properly, sometimes being alone people just dont eat right. and, if possible, try to help someone else, a stray, a person you know, a group, help teach a kid to sew - something that is not about you, but about someone else. doing things for others gets you out of your feeling there is nothing in your life. try to learn something new every day. The world is a huge place, when I was 14 I went into a very bad time because I read they had found dinosaur eggs in the Gobi! Serious! My mom thought I was nuts, I cried and said there was nothing left for me to find when I grew up (I wanted to be a palentologist back then). Now, I read all kinds of news and go to sites like National Geographic just to find things I dont know/ never heard of.
every single day you have on earth is a gift, if you live just 1 day or 100 yrs. Look for the present in your day, find the gift the day has hidden there. If you dont feel like quilting try something different, or try quilting some way you never had before, or try an art quilt, or soft sculpting. You can die in your sleep w/ a smile on your face planning the next days quilting project - what happens after you are gone is of no matter, it was how you lived that mattered, not what you didnt do the day you didnt get up sharet (just all my opinions - ;} )