Old 05-25-2011, 11:35 AM
emmah

Originally Posted by emmah
It's an epidemic! A month ago I had a nice clean living room, but now look at it. It is a machine shop and reeks of kerosene. The two treadles and the Singer 99 I got from a Craigslist ad in a remote PA location, cost $25 for all three. (All need some parts, but not too bad condition) The Singer 237 a friend picked up for $10. Needs a bobbin case. The Singer 27 I got on ebay cause it was cheaper than the parts if bought individually for the treadle, but even tho it is in rough shape, it is all there except for the shuttle. So I am sad to be robbing it to fix the other. Does anyone know of a source for vintage parts reasonably priced?
Fun and games.....I decided NOT to rob the 2nd Singer 27 of parts, got them elsewhere. Then, inspired by Billy's magnificent work, I tackled the 27 that was in rough shape. Detached all the parts that would detach, cleaned them, removed the finish from the body and sanded gently, taped up the areas not to be painted, and used a three part kit from Krylon called Mystique that includes a black base coat, a silver/green metallic second coat and a clear finish. Let it all dry and put all the parts back on, added a needle and thread, and WOW, it gave me a perfect stitch. (Sometimes I scare myself:>)
Attached Thumbnails attachment-202318.jpe