View Single Post
Old 05-30-2011, 10:00 AM
NannyPat

My Bernina has a stich regulator (the BSR) that really helps keep the free motion stitches even. Practicing free motion stitching on something like potholders will help you with both the "flow" and evenness of your stitches. Try stitching your quilt in the ditch, or using the walking foot with the guides to stitch crosshatch design. Both of those methods are fairly easy to accomplish and make you feel good about your finished quilt! Happy quilting!!

Originally Posted by luv2so
I'm working on my first ever quilt. Trying to do some free motion but my fabrics don't seem to move freely. Feed dogs are down, have quilting foot on, but it seems to be jerky movements.

What am I doing wrong? Do I need to put something under the backing? I've beens sewing for over 50 years and this is my first attempt at a quilt. I love all the quilts you ladies, and gentlemen, make. You've all inspired me, just need some help on how to make the fabric move more smoothly.

I hope I explained it so you can understand my problem! I'm so new at this quilting stuff.

Thank you!
Diana