View Single Post
Old 05-30-2011, 07:42 PM
palandrum

Originally Posted by deedum
Would you turn down an offer of tons of double knit fabric? A friend has offered to give me some and while I prefer cotton, I still think there is room for double knit in the quilting world. What do you think? Should I get it or would you pass? Would they work for charity lap quilts? They would certainly be warm. What about backing with bluejean material as the top? Any ideas?
Back in the '80's I made a patch quilt from double knit squares of fabrics I had used to make clothing and purchased clothing - most of them sentimental items. I used a backing of lightweight polyester gabardine fabric, flannel sheet for batting. I used a large outline stitch inside the square and tied each square in the center with embroidery thread. It is extremely warm, shows no wear and still has sentimental value as I can identify material used for my kids clothes, my grandmothers clothes, etc. Double knit is also a great fabric for making rugs - cut in strips, gather and sew light weight canvas material - kind of like braid rugs. A friend of mine cuts it into large 10-12 inch squares and make 'throws' to cover her porch swing. Very durable!