View Single Post
Old 06-03-2011, 05:03 PM
jpthequilter

Originally Posted by JulieTN
:shock: JEANNIE! I have heard that same type remark when I was younger from older older folks.

Apparently our level of what 'must' be as far as cleaning goes has gone about haywire. Imagine your Gramma seeing this and remarking. She would completely understand.

No one sane wants to live in a pig sty but heck folks!!! We see spotless and perfect in magazine, tv (aka HGTV) and really have come to expect life to immiate art!

OPPS I just fell off my undusted soapbox onto my dust bunnied floor! :wink:
Julie
Dear Julie.
LOL You know one secret our grandmas had was lots of bare floors and carpets. They had a long handle like a broom handle with a kind of snap clamp on it. And they would put flannel rags in it and use it for a dust mop getting the dust bunnies out from under the beds once a week. It took only a few minutes to dust mop a room, and put the mop out a window, and shake out the dust bunnies. They could dustmop a whole house on saturdays in about an hour.
They would use the same handle and different rags to wash the bathroom and kitchen floors - the bathroom was mopped up after saturday baths, The kitchen after spills and maybe the same time as the bathroom!
Interestingly, they swept the carpets with an ordinary strawbroom now and then. ( used it mostly in the kitchen)
They took rugs out and hung them on a wire clothesline and beat them with a "rugbeater" only about twice a year. They picked a windy day so the dust would blow away from their faces.
The turkish rugs were shortnapped and lightweight and fairly easy to carry too.
I remember this because our new england towns sort of were slower to change from the old ways.
Honestly, I still love an old iron cookstove to cook on!
Thanks for an interesting comment!
81 yr old me....Jeannie